Friday, July 3, 2009

Keep On Dancing Michael Jackson

Now. It's been about a week or so since Michael Jackson died. I still find myself bumpin those good ol' tunes of MJ.

To be completely honest. I never was a big fan. Or a fan to SAY "MJ influenced my musical life." but as I think about how the world is waking up to a Michael-less world, he has influenced my musical life. Those artistes I've grown up to all say "Michael Jackson was my role model growing up." Without him, perhaps majority of these artists now and days would have never been as amazing as some of them are. I bet if Michael Jackson was never around, half of the artists today would be doing a 9 - 5 job.


Not only did he influence the music industry. But he also influenced the world of dance. His slick moves have inspired people to just get up and try out what the hell his feet were doing. From the moon walk to the glide he does. People just want to try what he does and that leads some people into actually pursing a life in dance.


Strictly speaking about my exposure to him, I never realized how many songs of his I really did grow up with. From cartoons covering his songs to commercials featuring samples of his songs. I found myself looking up some of his songs and realizing I knew a lot of his songs. I always just thought of him as the man who wore only one glove, high water pants and a red leather jacket. Much too young to truly appreciate how great this man was.


Sadly enough, throughout the 90s Michael Jackson was bombarded with scandals and ridicule such as the child molestation allegations. Do i believe he did it? I dont know, I try not to think about it. Its either he did do it and his fame got him out of jail OR he didn't do it, and the ones accusing him were just trying to earn a quick buck. Either way it sucks. It also didn't help when rumors were going around about how Michael Jackson wanted to be white but in reality he had Vitiligo (a skin disease which changes the pigment of your skin). His cosmetic procedures is also a key to the ridicule of the media. Yes, he under went many many many surgeries. But was trying to make himself happy. Did it work? Who knows. The man was trying to find a slice of happiness in his chaotic life. Leave him be.

All in all, Michael Jackson went from this musical pop icon to what America likes to call a pedophile. He was physically abused as a child by his father and was mentally abused by the public throughout the rest of his life. Now I'm not gonna sit here and lie to you. I did partake in the Michael Jackson jokes ("keep you're kids away from MJ" or "Wacko Jacko"). However, in the last week the world is in mourn and people who were publicly making fun of Jackson in their shows and their music is now saying "he was the greatest man ever". That's kinda annoying. Where were those people when he was alive? But now that he's dead, their perception of him has changed. I guess our world really didnt know what we had until he left.

So heres to you King of Pop. For influencing the tens and millions of aspiring singers and dancers. For sharing the music you brought. For inspiring people to dream big. For leaving a legacy which will never be replaced. Thank you. You are an icon. You are a legend. You are the King of Pop Michael Joseph Jackson. Thank You.

Rest In Paradise Michael Jackson
August 29, 1958 – June 25, 2009

Keep on Dancing Michael.

No comments:

Post a Comment